Health and Services Practices
Our Cleanliness Commitment
Mahekal Beach Resort's unique layout of open-air pathways and lush gardens, gives us the ability to re-imagine your travel experience during these changing times.
Our team has been working tirelessly to welcome back our loyal guests safely - but with the same genuinely warm and authentic Mexican hospitality that we have been know for throughout our almost 40 years of operation.
Most importantly, we have worked closely with the hospitality industry, government officials and our Mahekal family team members to implement an exhaustive health and safety plan to our already thorough cleaning procedures, so that our guests feel at easy at all times, and our resort team has a safe workplace.
Our plan, which you can read about in detail, involves measures such as staff and guest screening, extensive cleaning and sanitizing protocols, the ease of Social Distancing due to our open-air restaurants, lobby and multiple pools, limiting capacities at our restaurants and Revive Spa, offering non-cash/no contact payment options and more.
These new protocols mean that some services, such as our bountiful Mayan breakfast buffet, may be limited and changed from your last visit. We invite you to review each section of this page, with our new procedures and initiatives. And if you want even more information, you can read our blog post.
We are counting the days until we see you again! Until then, Mantengase Seguro! (Stay Safe)
Health and Safety Practices
Mahekal Beach Resort is Reopening 10/1/20 and accepting reservations for the fall of 2020 and all of 2021.
Mahekal Beach Resort is reopening October 1, 2020. When we re-open, we will be operating within the guidelines of state and country restrictions, thus some amenities and services may be restricted, or have capacity limitations. We are currently accepting Reservations for fall, 2020 and all of 2021.
What is the status of reopening for Playa del Carmen?
On September 12th, 2020, the Governor of Quintana Roo announced that the entire state has a reduced risk of COVID-19 transmission as the epidemiological light was dropped from ‘orange' to ‘yellow'. This allows Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and the Riviera Maya to begin the next stage of tourism reopening which includes increased hotel capacities and the opening of archaeological tourist attractions.
As of September 13th, 2020, travelers were once again be able to visit the following archaeological zones:
- San Gervasio
Hotels, restaurants, historical sites, theme parks, golf courses and tourist services will now be able to operate at 60% capacity. Prior to the announcement tourism businesses had been limited to a maximum of 30%.
Is the beach open and accessible?
As of September 12th, 2020, beaches were reopened at 60% capacity. When we re-open on October 1, 2020, you will be able to enjoy the longest stretch of beach of Playa del Carmen –spanning 920 feet of pristine beach. Social distancing guidelines will be in place, as do limitations on gatherings.
What is open and closed in Playa del Carmen? Are stores open?
As of September 12th, when the state of Quintana Roo announced that the entire state had change the epidemiological light from ‘orange' to ‘yellow', services that impact tourism will be able to operate at an increased capacity of 60% including:
- Religious services
- Theaters and cinemas
- Shopping centers
- Department stores
- Real estate
- Beauty salons
Outdoor fitness clubs and facilities will be able to operate at 70% capacity and indoor gyms will be limited to 50% capacity to allow for social distancing.
The following business remain closed:
- Entertainment centers
Please note: Some business may have more limited hours of operation (i.e. Convenience Stores), and may also limit shoppers to one person from a family/group.
Are the swimming pools open?
When we re-open, Fuego Pool will be open and operating under a reduced load capacity as mandated by the county. We kindly ask our guests to cooperate with the posted capacity limits at the pool. Pool lounge chairs will be available and spaced out accordingly.
Are the hot tubs open?
We have decided to keep the hot tubs closed for the time being. Given the size, we feel it is better to limit these for now, but will continue to evaluate in the coming days.
Are pool towels available?
Yes! Pool towels are available from 9:00am to 5:00pm, daily. Towels will not be placed on pool/beach lounges, all towels must be stored in containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfect 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours
Is the Fitness Center open?
When we re-open, The Fitness Center will be open daily from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Guests must pre-register for a specific workout time in order to follow the 30% occupancy and social distancing regulations.
Will you offer housekeeping service?
We will service rooms daily with full housekeeping service following all state and county health and disinfecting protocols.
Can I purchase a day pass?
Day passes are not currently available. Due to the recent restrictions and reduced capacities, all resort amenities/resort access is for the exclusive use of our registered guests.
We remain committed to the highest standards of cleaning and disinfecting in all rooms, restaurants and common areas of the Mahekal Beach Resort. All employees wear masks and are trained on responsible hospitality.
For friends and families eager to reunite after months apart, but understanding your safety needs, we offer many rooms that have private entrances, no hallways, and the majority of our rooms are either individual Casitas, or two-unit Casitas, where the upstairs and downstairs guests have little interaction.
Come relax and renew with the peace of mind that you are safe with us.
At Mahekal Beach Resort, our lobby is open-air on three sides; while some of these health and safety protocols may seem excessive, the well -being of our guests and staff is foremost. However, equally important is ensuring that this "new experience" in travel remains TRUE to our service style, and ultimately has authentic Mexican hospitality, is unique and enjoyable for your and your family and travel companions.
- Our Security staff will measure the temperature of arriving guests in the motor lobby
- Disinfectant gel, masks and gloves are available at the front desk for guests
- We disinfect of all computer equipment, check-in desk counter, lobby chairs, tables, sofas and work stations every 2 hours
- Your luggage will be disinfected upon your arrival
- Room keys will be sanitized after every use with a UV sterilizer and stored in disinfected boxes
- We are committed to working with our airport transportation partner (Maritur) to ensure they also have has proper disinfecting and safety measures in place
- COVID-19 surveys must be completed and sent before arrival or delivered at check-in. This is mandatory and with no exceptions!
Our Guest Rooms are mostly in individual Casitas (Little Houses in Spanish), or two unit buildings with upstairs untis/downstairs units, with the top floor being a Palapa (Traditional Mexican roof that is thatched with palm leaves and branches). We have a few multi-unit Suites (Such as La Residencia), but other than those, you would not share stairways with more than one other unit. (And we have no elevators, as our buildings are only two-story.) If you have concerns or questions about specific rooms, please contact our reservations department.
- Our signature Hammocks will be washed and disinfected before each new arrival
- Pillows with waterproof, hypoallergenic, washable protectors to avoid contamination are being implemented; they will be cleaned and disinfected upon arrival
- As always, all linen is washed and disinfected upon each new arrival and after every departure
- Daily disinfection of room furniture, bathroom, door handles, light switches and fan and air conditioning controls and before every new arrival and after every departure
- Anti-COVID-19 kit in each room upon arrival (mask, gel, wipes); we offer one kit per person per stay
- Cleaning and disinfection of air conditioning system for all arrivals
- Fog disinfection of the room at the end of the cleaning process (Before any new arrivals or for any room changes)
Our restaurants and bars are mostly open air; our signature restaurant, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina opens to both the sand and ocean breezes on one side, and Fuego pool on the other, with the entrance being off one of our garden pathways. Likewise, Itzi Pool Bar, and Agave Bar are completely open on all sides. Both Cocina and Las Olas Restaurants are open air on three sides.
To ensure Social Distancing is respected, our regular guests may notice the layouts of our restaurants have been altered; plus we have eliminated our buffets, going with a la carte service, but still featuring our mouth-watering Mayan and local specialties.
- A disinfection mat will be available on each restaurant and bar location
- Disinfecting of tables, chairs, menus, equipment and utensils after each guest use
- Plastic menus will be cleaned and disinfected after each use and QR codes are available to download all menus on guests’ phones or mobile devices
- Cleaning and disinfection of common areas in restaurants and bars every hour
- Provide wipes for cleaning phones and tablets
- Disinfecting with fog of restaurants, kitchen and bars once a day
- Restaurant and Bar capacity at 30%, no more than 4 people per table with the exception of families with prior reservations
- Minimum distance of 7 feet (2 meters) between each dining table and chairs
- Employees keep a distance of 3.5 feet (1 meter) with the guest at moment of service and will set up the table at the moment of guests’ arrival
- In the interest of safety, we have eliminated all our buffet service and have a la carte service available
- No salt, pepper and sugar will be provided on the table; these items will be given by service personnel when requested in individual packages
- Reduce guest cash sales to a minimum. Check signature with plastic pen executed by cashier with gloves. We will ensure the disinfection of the pen and credit card machine after each use
- Floor signage at the hostess station to remind guests of Social Distancing, and keeping a healthy distance in restaurants.
While Mahekal is vastly unique, in that our public spaces for the most part, are open air (i.e. Lobby, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina, Agave and Itzi Bars) plus we have no hallways, just wide open grass areas and pathways to walk between our mostly single story or two story buildings, we are doing the following regarding our beach, pools and gardens.
- Distance of 6 feet (1.8 meters) between lounge chairs and day beds. Lounge chairs and day beds can be placed together upon request
- Lounge chairs and day beds will be disinfected after each use
- Towels will not be placed on lounge chairs or beds; we are storing all towels in sanitary containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfect 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours
- Trash bins with signage will be placed in public areas for the disposal of personal protection items.
- Wearing masks in public areas for guests is mandatory with exception inside the room or on your own terrace; pool areas, beach and while eating or drinking
We are committed to your safety as you relax with Mayan-inspired treatments in Revive Spa. We have the following procedures ready to implement, pending our re-opening of the Spa.
- Appropriate cleaning and disinfection techniques will be implemented for each service including the service equipment and tools
- Use of masks, face shields and gloves is mandatory
- In the Couple's Cabin, the plastic masks will be disinfected after each use
- As always, sheets and towels must be changed after each service and replaced with freshly disinfected linens and terry
- All amenities provided to guests will to be disinfected and only used once
- Staff in Revive Spa must manage COVID-19 symptomatology survey and guests’ temperature must be taken upon check-in at Revive Spa
- Sanitizing mat is placed at the entrance of the Spa
- During the reservation process, receptionist confirms e-mail to send clinical survey. Guest must fill out clinical survey 1 (one) hour before the service.
- No cash payments allowed
- Appointments will be scheduled spaced out to avoid agglomeration of guests and ensure proper cleaning and disinfection time between services
- Services on the beach or in open air spaces throughout the resort are highly recommended
We continue to update our event guidelines, as governmental restrictions change and re-opening in the State of Quintana Roo and the town of Playa del Carmen progresses.
Rest assured, our ceremony (Outdoor venues such as Fuego Beach/Sandbox, the Palm Garden and the Ceremony Garden) and reception facilities (Fuego Beach, Palm Garden, Revive Lawn, Las Olas Deck, Las Olas Restaurant and Celebre are either completely outdoors, or open air facilities that easily allow for Social Distancing.
We are currently revising our menus to limit buffet service, or to provide assisted buffet service. Please contact our Weddings Department for questions and to confirm your Destination Wedding.
We know you're ready to reconnect with the world and we want to help you make a decision to travel with the utmost confidence. Life happens, things change. Plan your family travel or weekend getaway at Mahekal Beach Resort and don't worry if you need to move your dates or cancel, we're waiving all cancellation fees and providing full refunds. For booking information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Flexible date change
- No cancellation fees for individual reservations
- Full refunds for stays through December 20, 2020