Health and Safety Practices
Our Cleanliness Commitment
Mahekal Beach Resort's unique layout of open-air pathways and lush gardens gives us the ability to re-imagine your travel experience during these changing times.
Most importantly, we have worked closely with the hospitality industry, government officials, and our Mahekal family team members to implement an exhaustive health and safety plan for our already thorough cleaning procedures so that our guests feel at ease at all times, and our resort team has a safe workplace.
Our plan, which you can read about in detail, involves measures such as staff and guest screening, extensive cleaning and sanitizing protocols, the ease of Social Distancing due to our open-air restaurants, lobby, and multiple pools, limiting capacities at our restaurants and Revive Spa, offering non-cash/no contact payment options and more.
These new protocols mean that some services, such as our bountiful breakfast buffet, may be limited and changed from your last visit. We invite you to review each section of this page, with our new procedures and initiatives.
We are counting the days until we see you again! Until then, Manténgase Seguro! (Stay Safe)
Mahekal Beach Resort has on-site testing for COVID-19 to assist guests with travel orders regarding entry restrictions from international destinations. We offer a series of measures in support of our guests:
- On-site property testing will be administered by a certified third-party company.
- Special price for Mahekal Beach Resort Guests: Antigen 35 USD and PCR 90 USD (Per person per test)
- Test results should be received within 24 hours in written format. Guests should contact the front desk upon arrival to schedule departure testing.
- If a guest receives a positive test while on property that prevents departure, 50% of the cost of quarantine at the property (Room, Resort Fee, and F&B), will be covered for up to 7 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus one travel companion sharing the same room. This policy is valid for new reservations starting from 1st April 2022 and until further notice.
- *In the event of a positive test, and the inability to travel, Mahekal Beach Resort will provide guests and one (1) travel companion, a guest room in an isolation area of the resort. Guest will be responsible for meals and beverages; to be delivered contactless.
- Specialized action protocols to ensure the well-being of the affected person and the other guests, including those within the travel party.
- For reservations made before 1st April 2022, we will honor the last terms and conditions.
With these procedures and actions, we want to reassure all those who have planned and those who are thinking of taking a Riviera Maya vacation and make available to them, all the resources available to us, so those guests can return to their countries in compliance with current regulations. As guests have a variety of travel plans, our front desk team is available to schedule appointments at the resort.
We remain committed to the highest standards of cleaning and disinfecting in all rooms, restaurants, and common areas of the Mahekal Beach Resort. All employees wear masks and are trained in responsible hospitality.
We offer many rooms that have private entrances, and no hallways and the majority of our rooms are either individual Casitas or two-unit Casitas, where the upstairs and downstairs guests have little interaction.
Come relax and renew with the peace of mind that you are safe with us.
At Mahekal Beach Resort, our lobby is open-air on three sides; while some of these health and safety procedures may seem excessive, the well-being of our guests and staff is foremost. However, equally important is ensuring that this "new experience" in travel remains true to our service style, and ultimately has authentic Mexican hospitality, which is unique and enjoyable for you and your family and travel companions.
- Our Security staff will measure the temperature of arriving guests in the motor lobby
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel.
- We disinfect all computer equipment, check-in desk counter, lobby chairs, tables, sofas, and workstations every 2 hours.
- Your luggage will be disinfected upon your arrival.
- Room keys will be sanitized after every use with a UV sterilizer and stored in disinfected boxes.
- We are committed to working with our airport transportation partner (Maritur) to ensure they also have proper disinfecting and safety measures in place.
- COVID-19 surveys must be completed and sent before arrival or delivered at check-in. This is mandatory and with no exceptions!
Our Guest Rooms are mostly in individual units or two-unit buildings with upstairs units/downstairs units, with the top floor being a Palapa. We have a few multi-unit Suites (Such as La Residencia), but other than those, you would not share stairways with more than one other unit. (And we have no elevators, as our buildings are only two-story.) If you have concerns or questions about specific rooms, please contact our reservations department.
- Our signature Hammocks will be washed and disinfected before each new arrival.
- Pillows with waterproof, hypoallergenic, washable protectors to avoid contamination are being implemented; they will be cleaned and disinfected upon arrival.
- As always, all linen is washed and disinfected upon each new arrival and after every departure.
- Daily disinfection of room furniture, bathroom, door handles, light switches, and fan and air conditioning controls before every new arrival and after every departure.
- Anti-COVID-19 kit in each room upon arrival (mask, gel, wipes); we offer one kit per person per stay
- Cleaning and disinfection of air conditioning system for all arrivals.
- Fog disinfection of the room at the end of the cleaning process (Before any new arrivals or for any room changes)
Our restaurants and bars are mostly open-air; our signature restaurant, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina opens to both the sand and ocean breezes on one side and Fuego pool on the other, with the entrance being off one of our garden pathways. Likewise, Itzi Pool Bar and Agave Bar are completely open on all sides. Both Cocina and Las Olas Restaurants are open air on three sides.
To ensure Social Distancing is respected, our regular guests may notice the layouts of our restaurants have been altered.
- Masks for employees in all areas are mandatory, guests should wear masks serving from the buffets and in closed indoor spaces.
- Disinfecting of tables, chairs, menus, equipment, and utensils after each guest’s use.
- Temperature is taken in all restaurants and bars.
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel in restaurants, bars, and common areas.
- All guests and staff are required to respect a safety distance of 1. 5mt. | 4.92ft.
While Mahekal is vastly unique, in that our public spaces, for the most part, are open-air. Plus, we have no hallways, just wide open grass areas, and pathways to walk between our mostly single-story or two-story buildings, we are doing the following regarding our beach, pools, and gardens.
- Distance of 1mt. | 3.28 ft. between lounge chairs and day beds. Lounge chairs and day beds can be placed together upon request.
- Lounge chairs and day beds will be disinfected daily.
- Towels will not be placed on lounge chairs or beds; we are storing all towels in sanitary containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfected 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours.
- Trash bins with signage will be placed in Restaurants and Bar’s bathrooms for the disposal of personal protection items.
We are committed to your safety as you relax with Mayan-inspired treatments in Revive Spa. We have implemented the following procedures.
- Appropriate cleaning and disinfection techniques will be implemented for each service including the service equipment and tools.
- Use of masks is mandatory.
- All the spa areas are disinfected after each use.
- As always, sheets and towels must be changed after each service and replaced with freshly disinfected linens and terry.
- All amenities provided to guests will be disinfected and only used once.
- Staff in Revive Spa must take a COVID-19 symptom survey and guests’ temperature must be taken upon check-in at Revive Spa.
- Sanitizing mat is placed at the entrance of the Spa.
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel.
- Services on the beach or in outdoor spaces are recommended, but it is also a good option inside the spa since all the cabins are well ventilated.
Rest assured, our ceremony (Outdoor venues such as Sandbox at Fuego, the Palms Garden, and the Ceremony Garden) and reception facilities (Sandbox at Fuego, Palms Garden, Spa Garden, Las Olas Deck, and Restaurant and Celebre are either completely outdoors, or open-air facilities that easily allow for Social Distancing.
Please contact our Weddings Department for questions and to confirm your Destination Wedding.
We know you are ready to reconnect with the world and we want to help you decide to travel with the utmost confidence. Life happens, and things change. Plan your family travel or weekend getaway at Mahekal Beach Resort and don't worry if you need to move your dates or cancel, we're flexible on our deposit, cancellation, and date change policies. For booking information, email us at Reservations
- Deposit Policy: credit card deposit equivalent to 50% of the total at the time of booking and the balance will be charged three (3) days before your arrival.
- Cancellation Policy: Three (3) days or more advance notice of cancellation before your arrival, full refund. Less than three (3) days' notice of cancellation before your arrival, the first deposit is non-refundable but can be used as a credit for a future stay.