Health and Services Practices
Our Cleanliness Commitment
Mahekal Beach Resort's unique layout of open-air pathways and lush gardens, gives us the ability to re-imagine your travel experience during these changing times.
Our team has been working tirelessly to welcome back our loyal guests safely - but with the same genuinely warm and authentic Mexican hospitality that we have been know for throughout our almost 40 years of operation.
Most importantly, we have worked closely with the hospitality industry, government officials and our Mahekal family team members to implement an exhaustive health and safety plan to our already thorough cleaning procedures, so that our guests feel at easy at all times, and our resort team has a safe workplace.
Our plan, which you can read about in detail, involves measures such as staff and guest screening, extensive cleaning and sanitizing protocols, the ease of Social Distancing due to our open-air restaurants, lobby and multiple pools, limiting capacities at our restaurants and Revive Spa, offering non-cash/no contact payment options and more.
These new protocols mean that some services, such as our bountiful Mayan breakfast buffet, may be limited and changed from your last visit. We invite you to review each section of this page, with our new procedures and initiatives. And if you want even more information, you can read our blog post.
We are counting the days until we see you again! Until then, Manténgase Seguro! (Stay Safe)
Health and Safety Practices
Mahekal Beach Resort reopened on October 1, 2020 and accepting reservations for all of 2021 and 2022.
Mahekal Beach Resort reopened October 1, 2020. We are operating within the guidelines of state and country restrictions, thus some amenities and services may be restricted, or have capacity limitations. We are currently accepting Reservations all of 2021 and 2022.
What is the status of reopening for Playa del Carmen?
In Quintana Roo, an "epidemiological stoplight" is used to track how opened the region is. Currently, the light is at "green "
When the light is "green", the following archeological are open, but capacity is reduced:
- Chichén Itzá
- Ek Balam
Hotels, restaurants, historical sites, theme parks, golf courses, tourist services and beaches will now be able to operate at 80% capacity.
Is the beach open and accessible?
Beaches are currently opened following the "green" regulations at 80% capacity. You are able to enjoy the longest stretch of beach of Playa del Carmen –spanning 920 feet of pristine beach at Mahekal Beach Resort. Social distancing guidelines are in place, as do limitations on gatherings.
What is open and closed in Playa del Carmen? Are stores open?
The state of Quintana Roo announced that the entire state had change the epidemiological light to "green", services that impact tourism will be able to operate at a capacity of 80% including:
- Historic sites
- Theme parks
- Golf courses
- Tourist services
- Public parks
- Religious services
- Theaters and cinemas
- Shopping centers
- Department stores
- Real estate
- Beauty salons
- Outdoor fitness clubs
Please note: some business may have more limited hours of operation (i.e. Convenience stores), and may also limit shoppers to one person from a family/group.
Are the swimming pools open?
Fuego, Itzi and Las Olas pools are open with bar and food service and operating under a reduced load capacity as mandated by the county. The Jungle pool is currently closed. We kindly ask our guests to cooperate with the posted capacity limits at the pool. Pool lounge chairs will be available and spaced out accordingly.
Are the hot tubs open?
Fuego and Las Olas hot tubs are open operating under a reduced load capacity as mandated by the county.
Are pool towels available?
Yes! Pool towels are available from 9:00am to 5:00pm, daily. Towels are not be placed on pool/beach lounges; all towels must be stored in containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfect 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours
Is the Fitness Center open?
The Fitness Center is open daily from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Guests must pre-register for a specific workout time in order to follow the 80% occupancy and social distancing regulations. You may sign up for your desired workout time at the Front Desk.
Do you offer daily housekeeping service?
We service rooms daily with full housekeeping service following all state and county health and disinfecting protocols.
Can I purchase a day pass?
Day passes are currently available following the reduced mandatory capacity by the county.
Mahekal Beach Resort has on-site testing for COVID-19 to assist guests with several new travel orders regarding entry restrictions from international destinations by countries such as the United States, Canada and others.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. This requirement went into effect on January 26, 2021. As you may be aware, a similar requirement is already in place for travelers returning to the U.K., Canada, Brazil, Argentina Chile and Colombia. Mahekal Beach Resort has implemented a series of measures in support of our current and future guests. These consist of:
- As part of our Health and Safety Practices, we are pleased to announce the inclusion of COVID-19 antigen testing on-property at no cost to guests traveling to the U.S., as accepted per CDC U.S. travel regulations beginning on January 26, 2021, for guests with a three (3) night stay or longer, regardless of booking source*
- On-site property testing will be administered by Hospiten, an international private hospital network committed to providing a first-rate health care service for travelers.
- Test results should be received within 24 hours in written format as required by the CDC. Guests should contact the front desk upon arrival to schedule departure testing.
- For guests traveling to countries that do not accept the antigen test and require PCR testing, the front desk will help coordinate and facilitate testing, at the guests cost.
- If a guest receives a positive test while on property that prevents departure, the cost of quarantine at the property, room only, will be covered for up to 14 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus one travel companion sharing the same room. This policy is valid for travel for the forseeable future. When an end date is announced, we will share that information with future guests.
- Specialized action protocols in the event of case detection to ensure the well-being of the affected person and the other guests, including those within the travel party
- *Mahekal Beach Resort will cover the cost of the testing for all actualized stays of more than three (3) nights, with a departure date of January 26, 2021, or later, until further notice, regardless of booking source (i.e., Website, Telephone direct to the Resort, Travel Agencies and Travel Partners and OTAs (On-line Travel Agencies) This covers all guests per room, over the age of two (2) years. For stays of less than three (3) nights, Mahekal Beach Resort can still assist with the coordination of testing, however, the cost of the tests, plus applicable 16% tax, would be the guest’s responsibility.
- **In the event of a positive test, and the inability to travel, Mahekal Beach Resort will provide guest and one (1) travel companion, a guest room in an isolation area of the resort. Guest will be responsible for meals and beverages; to be delivered contactless. Guest will also be responsible for 50% of the daily resort fee. Rooms for additional travel companions, if needed, will be offered at a discounted rate. This policy is currently in effect for the forseeable future; for arrivals with actualized stays of 3 nights or more on the initial reservation.
- Specialized action protocols in the event of case detection to ensure the well-being of the affected person and the other guests, including those within the travel party
With these new procedures and actions , we want to reassure all those who have planned and those who are thinking of taking a Riviera Maya vacation and make available to them, all the resources available to us, so those guests are able to return to their countries in compliance with current regulations. As guests have a variety of travel plans, our front desk team is available to schedule appointments at the resort.
According to the CDC, air passengers entering the U.S. will be required to present documentation of a negative COVID-19 viral test (called a Qualifying Test) conducted within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs.
- Documentation should be for a viral test (NAAT or antigen) as approved or authorized by the relevant national authority.
- Test results must state: Negative, SARS-CoV2 RNA Not Detected, SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Not Detected, or COVID-19 Not Detected. Invalid will not be accepted.
- Documentation may be paper or electronic copy and must include the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
- Test results may be required to be shown again upon landing.
Alternatively, passengers may provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 with documentation of test results conducted during the 3 months preceding the flight’s departure from a foreign country.
- Test results must state: Positive, SARS-CoV2 RNA Detected, SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Detected, or COVID-19 Detected. Invalid will not be accepted.
- Additionally, a letter from a licensed health professional stating that the passenger has been cleared for travel (called Documentation of Recovery) is required.
Finally, all airline passengers will be required to present a simple CDC attestation form to the airline for collection prior to boarding. The CDC attestation form can be found here for reference.
For full information, please reference the FAQs on the CDC website, which can be found here.
Below are the CDC's (Center for Disease Control and Preventions) requirements and recommendations for travel to Mexico.
- Before you travel, get tested with a viral test 1–3 days before your trip. Do not travel if you are waiting for test results, test positive, or are sick. Follow all entry requirements for your destination and provide any required or requested health information.
- During travel, wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet from people who are not traveling with you, wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer, and watch your health for signs of illness.
- Before traveling back to the United States, get tested with a viral test 1–3 days before travel. Follow all destination and airline recommendations or requirements. (Please see our sections on "COVID-19 On-Site Free Antigen Testing for Guests" and "Information About CDC Testing Requirements" on this Health and Services Page.)
- After you travel, get tested 3–5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
- If you don't get tested, it's safest to stay home for 10 days.
- If you had a known exposure to COVID-19 while traveling, delay travel, quarantine from other people, get tested, and monitor your health.
Please note: Self-quarantining/Self-isolation is recommended by the CDC, but is not a mandatory requirement at this this. Mahekal Beach Resort will do its best to keep you updated as these recommendations and requirements evolve.
We remain committed to the highest standards of cleaning and disinfecting in all rooms, restaurants and common areas of the Mahekal Beach Resort. All employees wear masks and are trained on responsible hospitality.
For friends and families eager to reunite after months apart, but understanding your safety needs, we offer many rooms that have private entrances, no hallways, and the majority of our rooms are either individual Casitas, or two-unit Casitas, where the upstairs and downstairs guests have little interaction.
Come relax and renew with the peace of mind that you are safe with us.
At Mahekal Beach Resort, our lobby is open-air on three sides; while some of these health and safety protocols may seem excessive, the well -being of our guests and staff is foremost. However, equally important is ensuring that this "new experience" in travel remains TRUE to our service style, and ultimately has authentic Mexican hospitality, is unique and enjoyable for your and your family and travel companions.
- Our Security staff will measure the temperature of arriving guests in the motor lobby
- Disinfectant gel, masks and gloves are available at the front desk for guests
- We disinfect of all computer equipment, check-in desk counter, lobby chairs, tables, sofas and work stations every 2 hours
- Your luggage will be disinfected upon your arrival
- Room keys will be sanitized after every use with a UV sterilizer and stored in disinfected boxes
- We are committed to working with our airport transportation partner (Maritur) to ensure they also have has proper disinfecting and safety measures in place
- COVID-19 surveys must be completed and sent before arrival or delivered at check-in. This is mandatory and with no exceptions!
Our Guest Rooms are mostly in individual Casitas (Little Houses in Spanish), or two unit buildings with upstairs untis/downstairs units, with the top floor being a Palapa (Traditional Mexican roof that is thatched with palm leaves and branches). We have a few multi-unit Suites (Such as La Residencia), but other than those, you would not share stairways with more than one other unit. (And we have no elevators, as our buildings are only two-story.) If you have concerns or questions about specific rooms, please contact our reservations department.
- Our signature Hammocks will be washed and disinfected before each new arrival
- Pillows with waterproof, hypoallergenic, washable protectors to avoid contamination are being implemented; they will be cleaned and disinfected upon arrival
- As always, all linen is washed and disinfected upon each new arrival and after every departure
- Daily disinfection of room furniture, bathroom, door handles, light switches and fan and air conditioning controls and before every new arrival and after every departure
- Anti-COVID-19 kit in each room upon arrival (mask, gel, wipes); we offer one kit per person per stay
- Cleaning and disinfection of air conditioning system for all arrivals
- Fog disinfection of the room at the end of the cleaning process (Before any new arrivals or for any room changes)
Our restaurants and bars are mostly open air; our signature restaurant, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina opens to both the sand and ocean breezes on one side, and Fuego pool on the other, with the entrance being off one of our garden pathways. Likewise, Itzi Pool Bar, and Agave Bar are completely open on all sides. Both Cocina and Las Olas Restaurants are open air on three sides.
To ensure Social Distancing is respected, our regular guests may notice the layouts of our restaurants have been altered; plus we have eliminated our buffets, going with a la carte service, but still featuring our mouth-watering Mayan and local specialties.
- A disinfection mat will be available on each restaurant and bar location
- Disinfecting of tables, chairs, menus, equipment and utensils after each guest use
- Plastic menus will be cleaned and disinfected after each use and QR codes are available to download all menus on guests’ phones or mobile devices
- Cleaning and disinfection of common areas in restaurants and bars every hour
- Provide wipes for cleaning phones and tablets
- Disinfecting with fog of restaurants, kitchen and bars once a day
- Restaurant and Bar capacity at 30%, no more than 4 people per table with the exception of families with prior reservations
- Minimum distance of 7 feet (2 meters) between each dining table and chairs
- Employees keep a distance of 3.5 feet (1 meter) with the guest at moment of service and will set up the table at the moment of guests’ arrival
- In the interest of safety, we have eliminated all our buffet service and have a la carte service available
- No salt, pepper and sugar will be provided on the table; these items will be given by service personnel when requested in individual packages
- Reduce guest cash sales to a minimum. Check signature with plastic pen executed by cashier with gloves. We will ensure the disinfection of the pen and credit card machine after each use
- Floor signage at the hostess station to remind guests of Social Distancing, and keeping a healthy distance in restaurants.
While Mahekal is vastly unique, in that our public spaces for the most part, are open air (i.e. Lobby, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina, Agave and Itzi Bars) plus we have no hallways, just wide open grass areas and pathways to walk between our mostly single story or two story buildings, we are doing the following regarding our beach, pools and gardens.
- Distance of 6 feet (1.8 meters) between lounge chairs and day beds. Lounge chairs and day beds can be placed together upon request
- Lounge chairs and day beds will be disinfected after each use
- Towels will not be placed on lounge chairs or beds; we are storing all towels in sanitary containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfect 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours
- Trash bins with signage will be placed in public areas for the disposal of personal protection items.
- Wearing masks in public areas for guests is mandatory with exception inside the room or on your own terrace; pool areas, beach and while eating or drinking
We are committed to your safety as you relax with Mayan-inspired treatments in Revive Spa. We have the following procedures ready to implement, pending our re-opening of the Spa.
- Appropriate cleaning and disinfection techniques will be implemented for each service including the service equipment and tools
- Use of masks, face shields and gloves is mandatory
- In the Couple's Cabin, the plastic masks will be disinfected after each use
- As always, sheets and towels must be changed after each service and replaced with freshly disinfected linens and terry
- All amenities provided to guests will to be disinfected and only used once
- Staff in Revive Spa must manage COVID-19 symptomatology survey and guests’ temperature must be taken upon check-in at Revive Spa
- Sanitizing mat is placed at the entrance of the Spa
- During the reservation process, receptionist confirms e-mail to send clinical survey. Guest must fill out clinical survey 1 (one) hour before the service.
- No cash payments allowed
- Appointments will be scheduled spaced out to avoid agglomeration of guests and ensure proper cleaning and disinfection time between services
- Services on the beach or in open air spaces throughout the resort are highly recommended
We continue to update our event guidelines, as governmental restrictions change and re-opening in the State of Quintana Roo and the town of Playa del Carmen progresses.
Rest assured, our ceremony (Outdoor venues such as Fuego Beach/Sandbox, the Palm Garden and the Ceremony Garden) and reception facilities (Fuego Beach, Palm Garden, Revive Lawn, Las Olas Deck, Las Olas Restaurant and Celebre are either completely outdoors, or open air facilities that easily allow for Social Distancing.
We are currently revising our menus to limit buffet service, or to provide assisted buffet service. Please contact our Weddings Department for questions and to confirm your Destination Wedding.
We know you're ready to reconnect with the world and we want to help you make a decision to travel with the utmost confidence. Life happens, things change. Plan your family travel or weekend getaway at Mahekal Beach Resort and don't worry if you need to move your dates or cancel, we're being flexible on our deposit, cancellation and date change policies. For booking information, email us at email@example.com.
- Deposit Policy: One (1) night credit card deposit at the time of booking and the balance will be charged three (3) days prior to your arrival
- Cancellation Policy:
- Three (3) days or more advance notice of cancellation prior to your arrival, full refund.
- Less than three (3) days' notice of cancellation prior to your arrival, the first deposit is non-refundable, but can be used as a credit for a future stay.