Health and Safety Practices
Our Cleanliness Commitment
Mahekal Beach Resort's unique layout of open-air pathways and lush gardens gives us the ability to re-imagine your travel experience during these changing times.
Most importantly, we have worked closely with the hospitality industry, government officials, and our Mahekal family team members to implement an exhaustive health and safety plan for our already thorough cleaning procedures so that our guests feel at ease at all times, and our resort team has a safe workplace.
Our plan, which you can read about in detail, involves measures such as staff and guest screening, extensive cleaning and sanitizing protocols, the ease of Social Distancing due to our open-air restaurants, lobby, and multiple pools, limiting capacities at our restaurants and Revive Spa, offering non-cash/no contact payment options and more.
These new protocols mean that some services, such as our bountiful breakfast buffet, may be limited and changed from your last visit. We invite you to review each section of this page, with our new procedures and initiatives.
We are counting the days until we see you again! Until then, Manténgase Seguro! (Stay Safe)
Health and Safety Practices
Mahekal Beach Resort reopened on October 1, 2020 and accepting reservations for all of 2022
Mahekal Beach Resort reopened on October 1, 2020. We are operating within the guidelines of state and country restrictions, thus some amenities and services may be restricted, or have capacity limitations. We are currently accepting Reservations for all of 2022 and 2023.
What is the status of reopening for Playa del Carmen?
In Quintana Roo, an "epidemiological stoplight" is used to track how open the region is. Currently, the light is at " Green "
The following archeological are open, but capacity is reduced:
- Chichén Itzá
- Ek Balam
Hotels, restaurants, historical sites, theme parks, golf courses, tourist services, and beaches will now be able to operate at 80% capacity.
Is the beach open and accessible?
Beaches are currently open following the " Green " regulations at 80% capacity. You can enjoy the longest stretch of beach of Playa del Carmen –spanning 920 feet of pristine beach at Mahekal Beach Resort. Social distancing guidelines are in place, as do limitations on gatherings.
What is open and closed in Playa del Carmen? Are stores open?
The state of Quintana Roo announced that the entire state had changed the epidemiological light to " Green ", services that impact tourism will be able to operate at a capacity of 80% including:
- Historic sites
- Theme parks
- Golf courses
- Tourist services
- Public parks
- Religious services
- Theaters and cinemas
- Shopping centers
- Department stores
- Real estate
- Beauty salons
- Outdoor fitness clubs
Please note: some businesses may have more limited hours of operation (i.e. Convenience stores), and may also limit shoppers to one person from a family/group.
Are the swimming pools open?
Fuego, Itzi, The Oasis, and Las Olas pools are open with bar and food service and operating under a reduced load capacity as mandated by the county. We kindly ask our guests to cooperate with the posted capacity limits at the pool. Pool lounge chairs will be available and spaced out accordingly.
Are the hot tubs open?
Fuego and Las Olas hot tubs are openly operating under a reduced load capacity as mandated by the county.
Are pool towels available?
Yes! Pool towels are available from 9 am to 5 pm, daily. Towels are not being placed on pool/beach lounges; all towels must be stored in containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfected 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours
Is the Fitness Center open?
The Fitness Center is open daily from 7 am - 7 pm. Guests must pre-register for a specific workout time in order to follow the 80% occupancy and social distancing regulations. You may sign up for your desired workout time at the Front Desk.
Do you offer daily housekeeping service?
We service rooms daily with full housekeeping service following all state and county health and disinfecting protocols.
Can I purchase a day pass?
Day passes are currently available, subject to request and under availability, we are following all health, capacity, and disinfecting protocols. Please contact us before your visit. T +52 984 87 3 06 11
Mahekal Beach Resort has on-site testing for COVID-19 to assist guests with several new travel orders regarding entry restrictions from international destinations by countries such as the United States, Canada, and others.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. This requirement went into effect on January 26, 2021. As you may be aware, a similar requirement is already in place for travelers returning to the U.K., Canada, Brazil, Argentina Chile, and Colombia. Mahekal Beach Resort has implemented a series of measures in support of our current and future guests:
- On-site property testing will be administered by a certified third-party company.
- Special price for Mahekal Beach Resort Guests: Antigen 35 USD and PCR 90 USD (Per person per test)
- Test results should be received within 24 hours in written format as required by the CDC. Guests should contact the front desk upon arrival to schedule departure testing.
- If a guest receives a positive test while on property that prevents departure, 50% of the cost of quarantine at the property (Room, Resort Fee, and F&B), will be covered for up to 7 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus one travel companion sharing the same room. This policy is valid for new reservations starting from 1st April 2022 and until further notice.
- *In the event of a positive test, and the inability to travel, Mahekal Beach Resort will provide guests and one (1) travel companion, a guest room in an isolation area of the resort. Guest will be responsible for meals and beverages; to be delivered contactless.
- Specialized action protocols to ensure the well-being of the affected person and the other guests, including those within the travel party.
- For reservations made before 1st April 2022, we will honor the last terms and conditions.
With these procedures and actions, we want to reassure all those who have planned and those who are thinking of taking a Riviera Maya vacation and make available to them, all the resources available to us, so those guests can return to their countries in compliance with current regulations. As guests have a variety of travel plans, our front desk team is available to schedule appointments at the resort.
According to the CDC, air passengers entering the U.S. will be required to present documentation of a negative COVID-19 viral test (called a Qualifying Test) conducted within the 24hrs before their flight to the U.S. departs.
- Documentation should be for a viral test (NAAT or antigen) as approved or authorized by the relevant national authority.
- Test results must state: Negative, SARS-CoV2 RNA Not Detected, SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Not Detected, or COVID-19 Not Detected. An invalid will not be accepted.
- Documentation may be paper or electronic copy and must include the name and contact information of the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
- Test results may be required to be shown again upon landing.
Alternatively, passengers may provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 with documentation of test results conducted during the 3 months preceding the flight’s departure from a foreign country.
- Test results must state: Positive, SARS-CoV2 RNA Detected, SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Detected or COVID-19 Detected. An invalid will not be accepted.
- Additionally, a letter from a licensed health professional stating that the passenger has been cleared for travel (called Documentation of Recovery) is required.
Finally, all airline passengers will be required to present a simple CDC attestation form to the airline for collection before boarding. The CDC attestation form can be found here for reference.
For full information, please reference the FAQs on the CDC website, which can be found here.
Below are the CDC's (Center for Disease Control and Preventions) requirements and recommendations for travel to Mexico.
- Before you travel, get tested with a viral test 24hrs before your trip. Do not travel if you are waiting for test results, test positive, or are sick. Follow all entry requirements for your destination and provide any required or requested health information.
- During travel, wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet from people who are not traveling with you, wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer, and watch your health for signs of illness.
- Before traveling back to the United States, get tested with a viral test 24hrs before travel. Follow all destination and airline recommendations or requirements. (Please see our sections on "COVID-19 On-Site Free Antigen Testing for Guests" and "Information About CDC Testing Requirements" on this Health and Services Page.)
- After you travel, get tested 3–5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
- If you don't get tested, it's safest to stay home for 10 days.
- If you had a known exposure to COVID-19 while traveling, delay travel, quarantine from other people, get tested and monitor your health.
Please note: Self-quarantining/Self-isolation is recommended by the CDC, but is not a mandatory requirement at this. Mahekal Beach Resort will do its best to keep you updated as these recommendations and requirements evolve.
We remain committed to the highest standards of cleaning and disinfecting in all rooms, restaurants, and common areas of the Mahekal Beach Resort. All employees wear masks and are trained in responsible hospitality.
We offer many rooms that have private entrances, no hallways, and the majority of our rooms are either individual Casitas or two-unit Casitas, where the upstairs and downstairs guests have little interaction.
Come relax and renew with the peace of mind that you are safe with us.
At Mahekal Beach Resort, our lobby is open-air on three sides; while some of these health and safety procedures may seem excessive, the well-being of our guests and staff is foremost. However, equally important is ensuring that this "new experience" in travel remains true to our service style, and ultimately has authentic Mexican hospitality, which is unique and enjoyable for you and your family and travel companions.
- Our Security staff will measure the temperature of arriving guests in the motor lobby
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel.
- We disinfect all computer equipment, check-in desk counter, lobby chairs, tables, sofas, and workstations every 2 hours.
- Your luggage will be disinfected upon your arrival.
- Room keys will be sanitized after every use with a UV sterilizer and stored in disinfected boxes.
- We are committed to working with our airport transportation partner (Maritur) to ensure they also have had proper disinfecting and safety measures in place.
- COVID-19 surveys must be completed and sent before arrival or delivered at check-in. This is mandatory and with no exceptions!
Our Guest Rooms are mostly in individual units or two-unit buildings with upstairs units/downstairs units, with the top floor being a Palapa. We have a few multi-unit Suites (Such as La Residencia), but other than those, you would not share stairways with more than one other unit. (And we have no elevators, as our buildings are only two-story.) If you have concerns or questions about specific rooms, please contact our reservations department.
- Our signature Hammocks will be washed and disinfected before each new arrival.
- Pillows with waterproof, hypoallergenic, washable protectors to avoid contamination are being implemented; they will be cleaned and disinfected upon arrival.
- As always, all linen is washed and disinfected upon each new arrival and after every departure.
- Daily disinfection of room furniture, bathroom, door handles, light switches, and fan and air conditioning controls before every new arrival and after every departure.
- Anti-COVID-19 kit in each room upon arrival (mask, gel, wipes); we offer one kit per person per stay
- Cleaning and disinfection of air conditioning system for all arrivals.
- Fog disinfection of the room at the end of the cleaning process (Before any new arrivals or for any room changes)
Our restaurants and bars are mostly open-air; our signature restaurant, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina opens to both the sand and ocean breezes on one side and Fuego pool on the other, with the entrance being off one of our garden pathways. Likewise, Itzi Pool Bar and Agave Bar are completely open on all sides. Both Cocina and Las Olas Restaurants are open air on three sides.
To ensure Social Distancing is respected, our regular guests may notice the layouts of our restaurants have been altered.
- Masks for employees in all areas are mandatory, guests should wear masks serving from the buffets and in closed indoor spaces.
- Disinfecting of tables, chairs, menus, equipment, and utensils after each guest’s use.
- Temperature is taken in all restaurants and bars.
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel in restaurants, bars, and common areas.
- All guests and staff are required to respect a safety distance of 1. 5mt. | 4.92ft.
While Mahekal is vastly unique, in that our public spaces, for the most part, are open-air. Plus, we have no hallways, just wide open grass areas, and pathways to walk between our mostly single-story or two-story buildings, we are doing the following regarding our beach, pools, and gardens.
- Distance of 1mt. | 3.28 ft. between lounge chairs and day beds. Lounge chairs and day beds can be placed together upon request.
- Lounge chairs and day beds will be disinfected daily.
- Towels will not be placed on lounge chairs or beds; we are storing all towels in sanitary containers with a lid. We request that guests go to our towel stands for towels, and also, please help us limit contact, by returning them to the towel stand before you leave the pool or beach areas. The towel containers are cleaned and disinfected 2 times a day. The towel stands are disinfected at least every 2 hours.
- Trash bins with signage will be placed in Restaurants and Bar’s bathrooms for the disposal of personal protection items.
We are committed to your safety as you relax with Mayan-inspired treatments in Revive Spa. We have implemented the following procedures.
- Appropriate cleaning and disinfection techniques will be implemented for each service including the service equipment and tools.
- Use of masks is mandatory.
- All the spa areas are disinfected after each use.
- As always, sheets and towels must be changed after each service and replaced with freshly disinfected linens and terry.
- All amenities provided to guests will be disinfected and only used once.
- Staff in Revive Spa must take a COVID-19 symptom survey and guests’ temperature must be taken upon check-in at Revive Spa.
- Sanitizing mat is placed at the entrance of the Spa.
- All guests are provided with disinfectant gel.
- Services on the beach or in outdoor spaces are recommended, but it is also a good option inside the spa since all the cabins are well ventilated.
We continue to update our event guidelines, as governmental restrictions change and re-opening in the State of Quintana Roo and the town of Playa del Carmen progresses.
Rest assured, our ceremony (Outdoor venues such as Sandbox at Fuego, the Palms Garden, and the Ceremony Garden) and reception facilities (Sandbox at Fuego, Palms Garden, Spa Garden, Las Olas Deck, and Restaurant and Celebre are either completely outdoors, or open-air facilities that easily allow for Social Distancing.
Please contact our Weddings Department for questions and to confirm your Destination Wedding.
We know you are ready to reconnect with the world and we want to help you decide to travel with the utmost confidence. Life happens, things change. Plan your family travel or weekend getaway at Mahekal Beach Resort and don't worry if you need to move your dates or cancel, we're being flexible on our deposit, cancellation, and date change policies. For booking information, email us at email@example.com.
- Deposit Policy: credit card deposit equivalent to 50% of the total at the time of booking and the balance will be charged three (3) days before your arrival.
- Cancellation Policy: Three (3) days or more advance notice of cancellation before your arrival, full refund. Less than three (3) days' notice of cancellation before your arrival, the first deposit is non-refundable but can be used as a credit for a future stay.